The Virtual Learning Academy are delighted to be working with and supporting local charity DAY1 during 2019. The DAY1 Mentoring for Success project matches at-risk pupils with a volunteer adult mentor to help them discover a positive direction in their lives through work or further education.
We need YOUR HELP
to continue to support the most vulnerable young people in our community
Are you over 18 and have a couple of hours free per week from August/September 2019?
– Held in Inverness – Bespoke training led by experts in the field
DAY1 Mentoring ( www.day1.uk.com ) was established in 2005, to help young people who are in need of a bit of support to help them with their decisions about their future. Our referred young people are vulnerable, not meeting their potential and are likely to leave school with no positive onward destination.
Over 350 local young people have successfully completed the Day1 program. Our young people are matched to trained volunteer adult mentors, who meet with them once a week for a couple of hours. Volunteer adult mentors act as positive role models, who help their matched young person with decisions and choices about their future.
94% of our young graduates are in employment, education or training at the end of their year with their mentor, and 5 years on 89% are still in employment, education or training.
DAY1 Mentors make a lasting difference to our local young people.
- Help you to make a real difference to the life of a young person
- Support you with an on-going comprehensive training package
- Support your relationship with a £1000 activity budget (expenses process)
- Ensure you have lots of fun, and make lasting friendships
DAY1 Volunteer Benefits:
- Flexible hours – arrangements made directly between mentor and your matched young person
- Interpersonal skills development
- Training opportunities throughout the year on a range of topics, from mental health to employability skills
- Great addition to your CV, demonstrating your commitment
- Become part of the growing Day1 team, take part in group activities, and meet new people.
DAY1 Volunteer Requirements:
- Mentor must be 18+ Years old
- Have a driving license and insured access to a vehicle
- 1 year commitment if matched with a young person
- Full PVG Disclosure check
- Completion of an application form, with full employment history, and two employment referees (which will be followed up on).
- Attendance at mentor induction training day (9am-4pm) and 3 hour child protection training (TBA)
- Life-experience, and/or be in work, education or training (or retired from).
- Be able to support young people with employability skills, and ultimately achieve our key outcome of every young person being in employment, education or training at the end of their year with their mentor. Additional training on this will be provided.
- Be emotionally ready to support and guide a young person with a potentially difficult history and difficult decisions about their career and future.
- Experience of working with children/young people is advantageous but not essential as full training will be provided.