Foundation Apprenticeships provide work-based learning opportunities for secondary school pupils and are recognised by employers and colleges, as well as many Scottish universities. This new approach to apprenticeships is better preparing young people for the world of work.
During a Foundation Apprenticeship, the VLA will support the pupil to build up their knowledge and skills to do a job, which they then put into practice in a real workplace with an employer. FAs are an integral element of the senior phase curriculum and form part of subject choices so that they can be undertaken alongside other qualifications, including Highers and National 5s.
In partnership with the VLA, you the employer will receive an outline of what the student is expected to cover during the work placement. This is then verified by an assessor provided by the VLA who will come out and visit the student and the employer during the placement. The work placement would last a school academic year ranging from June to June. The employer would be fully supported during the placement should any issues arise.
Why Should I get Involved?
- A great opportunity for you as an employer to spot talented, motivated pupils who could become your future employees.
- Foundation Apprenticeships work on real projects with your staff. They bring a fresh perspective and new ideas to those tasks.
- Young people get to know your business. Therefore, if you chose to recruit, they can come in with a useful working knowledge of it.
- It helps your business build stronger links with local schools and colleges
- Young people offer new exciting ways of thinking and offer fresh opportunities for your current staff such as mentoring.
- Foundation Apprenticeships are designed with employers like you, they help young people build the skills your business actually needs for the future
If you would like to support a placement, please complete and submit form below or to find out more information please contact Louise@virtuallearningacademy.co.uk